IN YOUR FACE
Innerwest Youth Theatre (IYT) Summer Stage Camp is the only camp of its kind in Sydney that offers young performers a total immersion into the performing arts and the chance to work with industry professionals on a full-scale production that caters to actors 9 – 17 at all levels of experience.
Over 5 full days, we provide intensive exposure to the world of musical theatre, drama, comedy and rock n roll, culminating in full scale musical play under lights for a theatre audience. Our shows are devised as dramatic retellings of classic and modern plays, from Shakespeare to the latest contemporary works, and cover a wide range of styles, held together by Broadway scenes and our very own rock band.
In January 2021, we’re excited to be moving into MONKEY BAA THEATRE at Darling Harbour for a week of theatre and music making, exploring scripted work that uses mythical tales to reveal the isolation, hopes and dreams of young people. Our overall theme is IDENTITY & CONNECTION.
"To put on a show in such a short time and producing such a high quality performance , blew us away. What a talented group of young actors, singers and dancers"
Our juniors aged 9 - 12 will look at reimagining Alice in Wonderland and creating comedy with fractured fairytales while our older players take on the world of 1990s East London in Philip Ridley’s The Storyteller Sequence, one of the most critically acclaimed collection of plays and monologues for teens, that illuminates the redemptive power of modern myth and connection through storytelling.
On day 1, we audition and cast the kids into roles according to age, interest and experience. Then we move straight into an intensive rehearsal period across three studios in preparation for Friday night’s performance. Our musical theatre performers will learn challenging song and dance scenes from Tony Award winning Broadway musicals including ‘Dear Evan Hansen’, ‘Beetlejuice’, ‘Six’, ‘Hamilton’ amongst others.
“We’ve been to most of the drama camps in Sydney and this was the best by far”
Dates: January 18 – 22
Times: Play rehearsals on Day 1 – 4 run from 9.30am – 5pm daily.
Location: Meeting Place for Drop Offs & Pick Ups – Ground Floor, Tramsheds
Drop Off: 9am (no later than 9.30am)
Pick Up: 5pm (no later than 5.30pm)
Minibus Home Drop Offs: Between 5 – 6pm (limited places)
• We respect each child’s individual talent
• Everyone at stage camp is an ACTOR first and foremost, and everyone will perform in our camp concert.
• Everyone gets to choose an optional elective - acting, playing in a band or singing/dancing in a musical theatre routine.
• We group actors into scenes based on age and experience and rehearse a script we’ve adapted from Broadway musicals, movies and stage plays.
• For Camps with younger kids, we run a play building session every day that puts the emphasis on original storytelling - NOT script learning. They then will join the musical theatre group to learn a physical theatre piece that combines street dance moves and songs with theatre.